By Asheville Kitchen Chef Brian Ross
For 4 turnovers
- 3-4 apples – Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, etc. (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 ounces quick puff pastry
- sugar for top
- egg wash – 1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water
- Peel and cut the apples into small cubes; toss with the lemon juice and sugar.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, and then add the apples.
- Sauté briefly and add the water. Continue to cook until the apples are soft and the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove and let cool.
- Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick – a 10” x 10” square and cut into 4 smaller squares.
- Egg wash one side, then place 1/4 of the apple mixture in the center and fold over. Pinch the edges with a fork to seal.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a 425 oven for 20-25 minutes.