By Corner Kitchen Catering, Chef Doug Dickson
- 10 Cucumbers
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Quart Water
- 2 Cups Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
- 1 stalk Celery, sliced 1/4 along the short side
- 1 Jalapeno Peppers, sliced thin
- 1 smallYellow onion, halved top to bottom and thin sliced
- 1/2 Cup Salt and pepper Mix
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp.Celery seed
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Slice cucumbers with a mandolin or sharp knife into 1/3" thick rounds. Move to a large bowl or container.
- Add all ingredients, minus the cucumbers, to a large enough sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Kill the heat and pour the pickling liquid over the cucumbers.
- Return everything to the pot and bring to a simmer until all the cucumbers have submerged. As they cook they will release liquid, so do not be alarmed when it seems like there is not enough liquid immediately.
- Return to the bowl to cool, then containerize as you see fit
This is not a true pickle, i.e. the cucumbers are not preserved. This is a quick pickle, and therefore should not be used beyond 6 days after they are prepared and cooled.