by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef Bruce Brown
- 1-1 1/2 Cups cilantro leaves, fresh (you may use the stems in this recipe, too)
- 1 Cup spinach leaves, fresh (substitute arugula optional)
- 2 oz. garlic cloves
- 1/2 Cup Poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 Cup pistachio nuts (walnuts or pecans can substitute)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 to 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1T hot sauce
- Place garlic cloves, cilantro, spinach, peppers and pistachio nuts in the food processor bowl and pulse 10 times to begin
- Add salt and parmesan cheese to bowl and start to process, slowly drizzling in 1/2C olive oil and hot sauce.
- Continue to process until desired consistency.
- More olive oil may be added to obtain a smoother consistency.
NOTES: Pesto is best used in small doses, usually spread thinly on a piece of crusty Italian bread and topped with roma tomato slices and a bit of cheese, then broiled for a great bruschetta.
This recipe usually results in 1-1 1/2 C of pesto. Pesto may be frozen for future use.