by Old Rock, Chef Randall Spencer
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 1 ea. Medium onion, thinly sliced
- TT Smoked sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 c 1/2-inch bread cubes, crust removed
- 8 oz Baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ea. Large eggs
- 1 1/4 c Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 5 oz Ham, diced
- 2 c Shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 3 ea. Plum tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp Grated parmesan
- 2 Tbsp Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 9x13 casserole dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat Add onions and cook, until lightly browned, about 5mins. Lower heat to medium and continue cooking until onions are caramelized, 15-20 minutes more. Season with salt & pepper.
- Heat another large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and the bread. Cook until lightly golden brow all over. Season with salt & pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the remaining butter and mushrooms. Cook to brown. Season with salt & pepper and continue to cook until soft.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs, heavy cream, mustard, cayenne, slat & pepper to taste. Stir in onions, bread, mushrooms, ham, 1 1/2 cup of gouda cheese. Transfer mixture to the buttered baking dish. Top with single layer of tomatoes, and sprinkle remaining gouda cheese and parmesan.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, and the casserole is set. Top with parsley and serve.