By Old Rock Cafe Chef Randall Spencer
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 3 C Corn
- 6 oz Bacon, diced into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 ea Yellow Onion (sweet), diced small
- 1 ea Leek, slice thinly into half-moons
- 1 ea Carrots, sliced
- ½ ea
- 1 lb Red & Green Bell Peppers, diced small
- Yukon Potatoes, diced small
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 2 Tbs Fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 4 C Chicken Stock
- 2 tsp Cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 C Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat a 4-quart heavy pot over low heat and add the diced bacon. Once it has rendered a few tablespoons of fat, increase the heat to medium and cook until bacon is crisp and golden brown. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat, leaving bacon in the pot.
- Add the butter, onion, leeks, carrots, bell peppers, thyme, and cumin and sauté, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft.
- Add the corn, potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the slurry of cornstarch and water. Return to boil and cook until the chowder thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and season with salt & pepper. Stir in heavy cream just before serving.