by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef Bruce Brown
- 1T bacon grease or vegetable oil
- 2C red onion, thinly sliced
- 1T balsamic vinegar –or- glaze
- Softened butter/margarine
- 8oz.- 1# gouda cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Rye bread
- In a skillet, melt the bacon grease over medium heat.
- Add the red onion and sauté until wilted and beginning to color, about seven minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in the balsamic vinegar/glaze and allow to simmer for five minutes. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the gouda cheese with the ground cumin.
- Prepare the slices of bread by scraping one side of each slice with the softened butter.
- Divide the required cheese over four slices of the bread, topped with a generous serving of the glazed onions. Top with the second slice of bread.
- Grill in a heated skillet over medium-high heat on each side until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Allow to rest for two minutes before cutting to serve.