by Chupacabra, Chef Emily Abernathy
- 1 c cornstarch
- 1 c flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- In a large cast-iron skillet, pour canola or another high heat oil until 1 to 2 inches from the top.
- Heat over medium-high heat. To test heat, sprinkle a little dredge, if it immediately bubbles, the oil is hot enough. Reduce heat as needed, cast iron retains heat.
- If oil begins to smoke remove from burner immediately.
- When ready to fry, place calamari in a colander and set inside your dredge bowl.
- Top calamari with dredge and shake to coat, repeating if necessary until all pieces are coated and excess dredge sifted out.
- Place into hot oil and fry until golden brown-this does not take long!
- Remove calamari from oil and coat in sweet and spicy bang bang sauce.
- Squeeze with lime, top with cilantro and queso fresco, and serve in warm corn tortillas.