by: Chef Brian Ross
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups rehydrated shiitakes from the ramen broth
- 1 Cup ramen or chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup Japanese soy sauce
- 1/2 Cup sherry vinegar
- 1 2-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled, cut in thick slices
- Slice the shiitake caps into 1/8-inch-thick slices (discard the stems).
- Combine broth, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and shiitake slices in a saucepan.
- Turn the heat to medium, being to a simmer and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Discard the ginger and pack the shiitakes (and as much of the liquid as necessary to cover them) into a container.
- These pickled shiitakes are ready to eat immediately and will keep, refrigerated, for at least 1 month.