By Martha Vining, assistant dining services director, Givens Health Care Center
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 leeks (whites only) thoroughly washed and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in medium stock pot.
- Add sliced leeks, celery and thyme, sauté until softened.
- Add chicken stock and potatoes, bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are very soft.
- Remove soup from heat and purée with immersion blender or food processor.
- Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper.