by The Dining Diva, Chef Molly Fowler
- 1 loaf french bread, roughly torn up, including the crust
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 qt half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5.33 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey (I use Jack Daniel’s..Not a blended whiskey!)
- Sweetened whipped cream to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish and fill it with torn bread.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, half & half, sugars, spices, salt and vanilla. Pour over the bread. Bake for 1 hour.
- Add topping: remove from oven, dot the top with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Put back into the oven for about 5 minutes, until butter is melted and the brown sugar is saturated.
- Remove and cool slightly before serving.
- Prepare the sauce: in a medium saucepan, before placing over heat, stir together the sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and eggs. Stir to blend thoroughly.
- Place pan over medium-low heat and stir constantly.
- Mixture will begin to boil and thicken.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and bourbon. Chill sauce.
- Serve bread pudding warm with cold sauce and top with a dollop of whipped cream.