by Foothills Wellness Center; Chef Melissa LeRoy & Dr. Joseph Picone
- 2 (8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with coconut oil.
- Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to get 4 roughly equal portions. Place between pieces of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or heavy saucepan to an even 1/2-inch thickness. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lightly beat egg in a shallow dish. Combine quinoa, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a separate shallow dish. Dip the chicken in egg, shaking off any excess, then in the quinoa, pressing to help it stick.
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 chicken breasts and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining 1-tablespoon oil and 2 chicken breasts. Top each breast with ¼ cup marinara, 2 tablespoons mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbling, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve topped with basil.