by Bruce's Fabulous Foods Chef Bruce Brown
- 2 1/2C self-rising flour
- 1/2C vegetable shortening
- 1C heavy whipping cream
- 1/2C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2C strawberries, cleaned and topped
- 1C blueberries, whole
- 1C cranberries, halved
- 1T lemon juice
- 1/4C sugar
- Shaved White Chocolate
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400.
- In mixer bowl, combine the flour, sugar and shortening until crumbly.
- Add the vanilla to the heavy cream and slowly pour into the dry flour mixture while working, stirring just until all is combined and moistened.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, carefully rolling out to about one inch thickness.
- Flour the cutter and cut out cakes, placing on the cookie sheet until all scraps are formed into about six cakes.
- Bake the shortcakes for 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top, moist but firm in the middle of each cake.
- While cakes are baking, combine the strawberries, blueberries and the halved cranberries in the mixing bowl, chopping together until small pieces are blended.
- Add the lemon juice and the 1/4C sugar to the berry mix, folding until incorporated. This fruit mixture can be prepared ahead and chilled.
- To serve, carefully slice one shortcake horizontally, placing the bottom half on a plate.
- Top with 1/2C of the fruit mix, placing the top half of the shortcake on top.
- Ladle another 1/2 - 1C of the fruit mix over top again, allowing to fall down the sides.
- Sprinkle with the shaved white chocolate and cover with optional whipped cream for a great dessert.