by Asheville Kitchen, Chef Brian Ross
- Makes 2 pounds of dough approximately 50 pierogis
- 4 cups flour (520 grams/18 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plain oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water room temperature
- Mix the water, eggs, oil and salt.
- Place the flour in a large bowl then add the liquid all at once then with a fork, mix the dough, bringing the flower in and folding with the fork.
- Turn out the dough and using a little flour for dusting, knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Wrap in plastic and let rest 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out 3 inch circles.
- Place about a tablespoon of filling in each, then with the dough in your hand, use your fingers to stretch the dough over and then pinch to seal.
- Boil in salted water and serve with melted butter.
- Or crisp the pierogis in a little oil then add fresh melted butter and onions.
Sauerkraut & bacon filling
- 9 ounces bacon
- 10 ounces drained sauerkraut
- Render the bacon and discard half the fat.
- Add the sauerkraut and let sit until needed.