By Martha Vining, assistant dining services director at Givens Estates Health Center in Asheville.
- 3 medium-sized Vidalia onions (enough for 5 to 8 cups, sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup roughly grated Swiss cheese
- 1 pre-made, unbaked pie crust
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons water for egg wash
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, heat a medium sauté pan or iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil, allow to heat through, add sliced Vidalia onions and thyme. Cook until soft and brown.
- Place pie crust on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle half of the Swiss cheese in the middle of the pie crust.
- Spoon cooked onions over the cheese.
- Fold pie crust over the edges of the onions, leaving the middle open.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.