- 2T butter
- 1C yellow onion, diced
- 4C butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4C sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1# carrots, trimmed and diced
- 1T salt
- 1/4C brown sugar
- 1T whole nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 6C apple juice, divided
- 2C heavy cream
- Over medium high heat, melt butter in small stock pot. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about three minutes.
- Into the stock pot, place all squash pieces with salt and cover with 4C apple juice. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and spices. Begin to puree with an immersion blender or in the food processor in small batches.
- Slowly add the heavy cream, continuing to puree the bisque until completely smooth. If bisque is too thick, thin with additional apple juice. Reheat, if necessary, over low heat until warm.
NOTE: I like to top each cup of bisque with a cranberry/pecan compote, just to add a little color and pizzazz!