by Bruce's Fabulous Foods, Chef Bruce Brown
- 2 1/2 Cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 Cup vegetable shortening
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cups smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 2 Cups strawberries, topped and sliced
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Crushed peanuts for garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400.
- In mixer bowl, combine the flour, sugar and shortening until crumbly. Add the vanilla to the heavy cream and slowly pour into the dry flour mixture while working, stirring just until all is combined and moistened.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, carefully rolling out to about one inch thickness. Flour the cutter and cut out cakes, placing on the cookie sheet until all scraps are formed into about six cakes.
- Bake the shortcakes for 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top, moist but firm in the middle of each cake.
- While cakes are baking, combine the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in the mixing bowl, folding together until coated. This fruit mixture can be prepared ahead and chilled.
- In an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter and sugar until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag for easiest use.
- To serve, carefully cut one shortcake horizontally, placing the bottom half on a plate. Pipe a thin layer of flavored cream cheese into the shortcake, topping with desired amount of the macerated strawberries.
- Place the top half of the shortcake on top, upside down. Pipe another layer of flavored cream cheese, then ladle another portion of the strawberries over top.
- Cover with optional whipped cream and sprinkle with crushed peanuts for a great summertime dessert.