The Red Cross is sending out an urgent call for donors of all blood types. Blood is getting transported to hospitals faster than donations are coming in.
Angie Burwell, a regular donor at the North Asheville Red Cross, urges others to donate.
Red Cross officials said there are several drives this week.
"We need any eligible donor to please come out and donate at a community drive. We need it for patients waiting in hospitals. As soon as it's collected, we're getting it out to the patients," the Red Cross' Tabitha Bagwell said.
Summertime is typically a time when donations drop, but the level is below normal, officials said.
There are two drives tomorrow in Asheville -- one on the east side and another at a church in north Asheville.
Area blood drives Thursday
- Canton Memorial Hospital, Linville, 1-5:30 p.m.
- Laurels of Summit Ridge, Asheville, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Brookstone Church, Asheville, 1-6 p.m.
- Oak Grove Baptist Church, Clyde, 1:30-6 p.m.
- Calvary Baptist Church, Brevard, Noon-5:30 p.m.