As Tropical Storm Michael rolls across North Carolina, it's continuing to produce life-threatening flash flooding and powerful winds.
The National Weather Service said the storm was centered about 20 miles (32 kilometers) northwest of Raleigh at 5 p.m. Thursday and heading northeast at 24 mph (39 kph) with winds of up to 50 mph (80 kph). It was expected to keep on the same track but head even faster and cross into Virginia during the evening.
Michael was sending dangerous wind gusts over portions of Virginia and central and eastern North Carolina.
Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 230 miles (370 kilometers) mainly over water to the southeast of the center.
Henderson County Emergency Shelter announcement
An emergency shelter will be opened at East Henderson High School at 10:30 this morning. The shelter will remain open only until flash flooding in the area recedes. If you are in need of utilizing this shelter, please go to 150 Eagle Pride Drive, Hendersonville, North Carolina 28726.
For your safety and the safety of our first responders, please do not attempt to go around blocked area roadways. There are currently flooded areas and downed trees around the county. The barricades are put in place for your safety.
If you have an emergency, please call 911.
Announcement for Owen District families:
Due to the potential for isolated flooding and power outages later today as the remnants of Hurricane Michael affect our area, we will be releasing ALL Owen district students at 11 a.m. today. The schools will remain open so children who are car riders will be safe and supervised at school until parents or guardians arrive.
Again, Owen District students only will be dismissed at 11 a.m. today, Thursday, October 11.
Also, all extracurricular activities in the Owen District for today have been canceled.
Broad River Fire District has received extreme flooding and had water rescue already due to vehicle driving through water. Shelter in place unless you are in immediate danger. If next to a river or stream and able you should seek higher ground. The following roads are closed NC Hwy 9 multiple locations, Morgan Hill Rd, Crooked Creek Rd, Old Fort Rd at McDowell line, Stroud Valley Rd, Gold Anchor Lane, Tree Haven Rd, and Lower Flat Creek Rd. Likely many others. Do NOT venture out if not an emergency. You’ll likely become part of the problem or worse a victim. This is extremely dangerous conditions and you’re risking your life as well as ours.
Henderson County Sheriff's Office list of closures:
- GREENVILLE HWY / SPARTANBURG HWY / WHITE ST AREA
- AREA IN FRONT OF THE NEW INGLES ON SPARTANBURG HWY IS FLOODED
- MID ALLEN ROAD CLOSED
- ERKWOOD RD / KANUGA
- DANA RD CLOSED NEAR TRACY GROVE RD
- BIG WILLOW @ RIVER RD CLOSED
- BATTLE CREEK RD
- QUAIL FARM RD HAS WATER ON ROADWAY
- ETOWAH SCHOOL RD IS SHUT DOWN AT RIVER RD
- JACKSON RD / HOWARD GAP RD FLOODED
- JACKSON PARK IS CLOSED
- BARRICADED ROADWAY OF TURNPIKE / WARLICK AND 280
- NEW HOPE BETWEEN POWELL ST AND BRIDGE / DUNCAN RD
- CHADWICK AVE CLOSED
- 55 BANNER FARM CLOSED
- GROVE ST BEHIND HARRIS TEETER
- TRACY GROVE RD / DANA RD CLOSED
- AIRPORT RD AND COLLEGE DR
- SEVERAL INCHES OF WATER OVER S RUGBY RD IN THE SHARP CURVE BY ARBOR LN
- ERKWOOD RD @ KANUGA DOWN TO 1 LANE ALMOST IMPASSABLE
- JACKSON RD AT HOWARD GAP RD
- WARLICK RD / BANNER FARM UNDER WATER
- NEW HOPE RD / DUNCAN RD WATER OVER THE ROADWAY
- SHEPHERD ST BLOCKED AT 609
- OLD SPARTANBURG AT HEAVENLY VALLEY FLOODED
- S RUGBY RD AT ARBOR LN FLOODED
- 25-S BESIDE PATTON PARK - FLOODED
- ORLEANS RD BETWEEN 191 AND HVL MIDDLE SCHOOL - FLOODED
- N LAKESIDE DR AND E PRICE RD
- HIGHLAND LAKE RD IS FLOODED AT THE TRAIN TRACKS
- SPARTANBURG HWY IN FRONT OF GE
- WATER OVER THE EXIT RAMP ON UPWARD RD
- ASHEVILE HWY IN FRONT OF THE OLD BALFOUR
- BROOKLYN AVENUE
- STATON RD AT POTTERY TERRACE
- DANA RD - SEVERAL INCHES OF WATER
- BIG HUNGRY RD
- UPWARD RD AT JACKSON LOOP RD
- BALLENGER RD
- SR-1151 (Green River Cove Rd) Southbound in Polk County South of Saluda: Road Impassable. Road impassable due to high water from the Green River in the area of the bridges.
- SR-1512 (Ecusta Rd) Both Directions, Near US-64 (Asheville Hwy) in Transylvania County Near Brevard: Road Closed. Due to flooding road is closed
- US-176 Westbound, Near SR-1179 (Edney Rd) in Polk County South of Saluda: Road Closed.
- SR-1191 (Big Willow Rd) Both Directions in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed. Road closed due to flooding.
- SR-1508 (Balfour Rd) Both Directions in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed.
- SR-1314 (Banner Farm Rd) Both Directions in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed.
- NC-225 (Greenville Hwy) Both Directions, Near US-176 (Spartanburg Hwy) in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed.
- US-25 BUS (Asheville Hwy) Both Directions in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed.
- SR-1353 (Hooper Lane) Both Directions in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed.
- US-64 Both Directions in Jackson County Near Cashiers: Road Closed. The road is closed near Chattooga Ridge Trail due to Road Obstruction.
- SR-1137 (Crail Farm Rd) Both Directions in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed.
- SR-1164 (Erkwood Dr) Both Directions in Henderson County Near Hendersonville: Road Closed.
- US-176 Westbound, Near SR-1179 (Edney Rd) in Polk County South of Saluda: Road is closed due to high water from Hurricane Michael in the area of the Pacolet Valley
Tryon Road Closures
- Road closures: E Howard St and Vaughn St.
- East Howard St is closed from Cleveland Rd to the intersection with Vaughn St.
- Cleveland Rd is closed due to a tree down.
- Vaughn St is closed from E Howard to New Market Rd.
- McDowell County Emergency Management is asking anyone living in low lying or flood prone areas to move to higher ground.
Due to extensive flash flooding across McDowell County, a State of Emergency is now in effect. Multiple roadways are being impacted by flooding. Swift water rescues teams are deployed across McDowell County.
An emergency shelter was opened at the YMCA in Marion on Thursday, but closed at 3 p.m. after emergency management officials reported no evacuees had shown up.
If you need water rescue call 911. Please do not call 911 for road condition information.
Yancey County Schools have a shelter in place as well.
In Polk County, south of Saluda, US-176 near SR-1179 (Edney Road), the road is currently CLOSED in the area of Pacolet Valley due to high water.
ALSO in Polk county, US_1142 (Holbert Cove Road), high water in the area of Cove Creek, has the road CLOSED.
JUST IN: Bat Cave Rd near 6400 block is now closed due to landslide. That’s in the Crooked Creek area near Old Fort.
A Flash Flood Warning remains in effect for SW McDowell.
A Flash Flood Warning was just issued for Buncombe, Henderson, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford until 11:30am
TROPICAL STORM WARNING expanded to WNC. Strong wind gusts possible, trees may fall.
TORNADO WATCH in effect until 7am for parts of the Upstate. Tornadoes possible.
FLASH FLOODING POSSIBLE! Heavy rain is falling and doesn't turn lighter until late this morning.
Early Thursday, the eye of Michael was about 25 miles (40 kilometers) east of Macon in central Georgia. The storm had top sustained winds of 60 mph (96 kph) and was moving to the northeast at 20 mph (32 kph).
The National Hurricane Center says the core of Michael will move across central and eastern Georgia Thursday morning, and then over southern and central South Carolina later in the day.
Rainfall totals will range from a couple to several inches by Thursday afternoon in these areas.
Wind gusts will be greatest south of I-85 into the Upstate and Midlands of S.C.
Gusts could be enough to knock down some trees in Western North Carolina, which could lead to some power outages by Thursday A.M.
Weather conditions will improve quickly into Thursday afternoon as Michael pulls quickly away. Expect rain to end from west to east Thursday.