Concerns about the weather impact of Hurricane Florence has caused officials to change the date of the Western Carolina at Gardner-Webb football game.
Originally scheduled for Saturday, the Catamounts (1-0) and Runnin' Bulldogs (1-1) will now play Friday at 6 p.m. at Spangler Stadium on the Gardner-Webb campus in Boiling Springs.
The game will be streamed live on ESPN+ and will be available on the Catamount Sports Network
"After consulting with on-campus officials and speaking with [athletics director] Randy Eaton at Western Carolina, we are in agreement that Friday gives our teams the best opportunity to play the game without adverse effects from the weather,” said Gardner-Webb Vice President for Athletics Chuck Burch. “We will continue to monitor conditions.”
The Caregory 4 storm is expected to bring strong winds and heavy rain to the Carolinas over the weekend.
For more information on Friday’s game, or for tickets, contact the Gardner-Webb Athletics Department at (704) 406-4340.
Several WNC high schools have also changed their schedule in anticipation of Florence, including:
- Draughn at Avery County, 7 p.m. Wednesday.
- Asheville School at Southlake Christian, 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Roberson at North Buncombe, 7 p.m. Thursday.
- North Henderson at Tuscola, 7 p.m. Thursday.
- Mountain Heritage at Hayesville, 7:30 p.m. Thursday
- Erwin at Asheville High, 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Enka at Reynolds, 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Burns at Hendersonville, 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Brevard at Owen, 7:30 p.m. Thursday.